Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hawaii - Part One...

Gosh, I don't even know where to start. ❈  Oahu and the trip in general was just as wonderful and relaxing and full of family togetherness and awesome memories as I'd hoped it would be.  I'll start with a few of my favorite photos.

This was one of our two favorite beaches. On this morning the rain clouds were brewing up something pretty good (in fact, we got kicked out of another beach a few miles away by the life guards as it was too dangerous there for "non-locals").  It was 80 degrees and water was heavenly.


This photo is sooc (straight out of camera).  The water really was that green and the sky that blue.  It was quite surreal to be out there that day....


When I was a little girl we lived on Oahu from 1st through 3rd grade.  I swung on this exact banyan tree so I had to make sure the littles had a chance at playing Tarzan too. ❈


We tried out a lot of shaved ice places.  About 1/2 way through the trip I could no longer eat it without getting the shudders.  All that food dye, ack!  It was yummy though. :-)


We did some snorkeling, but not as much as we thought we would.  Boogie boarding turned out to be the main event.


A classic, yes?  Let's bury the kids!


Getting some pointers on how to catch and ride waves...  By the end of the trip he could have taught us a thing or two.


This was the beach below and to the right of the beach bungalow.  That building in the distance is the Turtle Bay Resort.


He did a WHOLE lot of this once he figured out he could ride the waves from both directions.


She did a WHOLE lot of this.  Not quite as sure of how to navigate...


He would run from the shore and ride the water in as it receded and then jump the undertow, crazy kid.


Then he would catch the next wave back to shore.  


Finally she would get brave and then head out.


We did this for hours and hours, every day.  It was awesome.  (I tried to pretend he wasn't going to break his neck.  This was usually followed by a flip of some sort, equally thrilling and cringe inducing to watch).  Hugest smiles I've ever seen him wear. ❈



(Side note - Every time he grabs my hand I feel so grateful.  I know the time is coming very soon where he won't so I soak up every second of it.)


This is sunset from our little covered lanai.  One of my favorite parts of the trip was watching this guy who has worked his tail off this year get to do this.  Best thing ever. ❈  And yes, that is our picnic blanket.  I did in fact pack it over and back - who wants to dry off with a sandy towel?


Next post - Our home away from home, the beach bungalow.






1 comment:

  1. WOW, Jen, your pictures are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! What a gorgeous slice of Heaven. I always enjoy how you tell a story through your pictures. The kids look like they are having the time of their lives in the photos, and your hubby looks so relaxed...just the way a vacation should be. I can't wait to see the bungalow. XO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete