Monday, November 14, 2011

"Pumpkin" Cheese Balls...


Aren't these just the cutest little things?  I would have never thought of this on my own.  Kind of genius actually...  I first saw these last week on the blog Kitchen Simplicity via a link on Pinterest and I knew I absolutely had to try them. Of course I didn't have most of the ingredients the original recipe called for, but since the writer advised you could "use your favorite cheese ball recipe" I decided to wing it with what I had on hand (Although her recipe looked pretty awesome so I've book marked it to try later!)

Here's what I did:

Winging it Pumpkin Cheese Ball recipe:

1 (8 oz.) tub of chive and onion cream cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (thought later I should have added a little Tabasco)

Paprika
Green onions

I combined the ingredients of my on the fly cheese ball recipe. Mixed well in stand mixer, and chilled for a couple of hours until firm enough to handle.Then I used a mini scoop to to pre-form balls and plopped them onto a plate - so gourmet, I know.....  (You could just use a spoon, but I find a mini-scoop works best for uniform size).  Then I went back and rolled them into round balls and put them back into the fridge to firm up while I cleaned up a bit.

Then I took each ball and sprinkled paprika all over it (it helps if you have the top with the holes in it) and set aside.  Once all of the balls were covered, I took a knife and cut into the sides of the balls to make the curves of the pumpkin. Once I had scored all of the balls it was time for the "stems". I cut the green part of the onions into one inch lengths and then cut each length in half.  Then I stuck the onion into the top of the ball.  I found it easiest to fold the bit in half and then jam it in.  When you press it down the pressure causes the scored areas to spread showing the inside of the cheese ball and look more pumpkin like.  You can adjust this with more pressure or scoring if needed.  Voilà! Mini "Pumpkin" Cheese Balls.  

There is a printable recipe at the bottom of the original recipe.

If you are looking for an appetizer with more Christmas appeal, check out my Feta Truffles Tutorial.
They are always a huge hit. ❈



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I will keep this!!!A great treat for later evening Thanksgiving with crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness! These are too stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete