Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lunch addiction (Simple Butternut Squash Soup)



This week I've been craving soup for lunch.  Yesterday I made up a pseudo batch of Epicurious's Winter Squash Soup.   I say pseudo because I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand.  Turns out it didn't matter because the base ingredients are so good you don't actually need all of the bits and bobs.

I highly recommend making the original soup - it's fantastic.  But if all you've got is a squash, an onion, some chicken broth and dried thyme you can still totally pull it off by throwing it all in a pot and calling it good.

Easy & Simple Butternut Squash Soup

1 onion diced. (Side note - I just recently learned how to properly cut an onion "the easy way".  Total "doh" moment check out this link for details.)

4 cups peeled butternut squash cut into 1 inch dice (My peeler worked great for this chore.)

2 cloves of garlic, pressed. (I use pre-pressed garlic blend from a tube, I know, I know...)

Olive oil

Dried thyme and Sage (if you don't have the sage, just double the thyme)

Chicken broth.

Sugar

Saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the squash and 1/2 teaspoon each of the spices. Just cover with chicken broth.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to low.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes until squash is very tender.

Use blender or potato masher to get soup to a smooth consistency.  (I used the potato masher, less messy, it made a great rustic style soup.)

Stir in 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

I like to add a little shredded cheese to mine for a yummy weekday, kids are all off at school, there's only two loads of laundry left and the sun is out, lunch.

Like I said, if you have all of the ingredients then you should totally make the original recipe.  I don't usually have cream or fresh herbs on hand so I had to make due.  Believe me, I was hardly suffering!


1 comment:

  1. Seriously....I love squash soup. I am putting in a garden this year.....better for the family with fresh vegetables. Thanks for the great recipe.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete