Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mama's Cream Puffs




My mom used to make us cream puffs when we were kids, did yours? We used to have them for special occasions filled with ice cream or just because, filled with chocolate or lemon pudding.  I'd never made them for my kids before.  I always thought they seemed fancy, and easy to screw up. I mean, how did she get the hole in the middle every time???  But after today I can tell you that these are just about the easiest thing ever!  They turned out to be just the thing for a sad boy who's Dirt Riders (Mtn. biking class) was canceled for rain today.

I seem to remember the big red and white checkered cookbook coming into play so I'm betting you can find this recipe in your old Betty Crocker.

Cream Puffs

Stick of butter
Cup of flour
Four eggs
Water
Salt

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set  your oven to 400°.

Bring to a boil one cup of water, ½ cup unsalted butter and ¼ tsp salt.

Add 1 cup flour all at once and stir quickly until all of the flour is well incorporated.

Let cool for about 10 minutes.

Add 4 eggs, one at a time, stirring briskly until well blended between each.  Yes, your arm is going to get tired.  Keep stirring.

Use two spoons, or cheat with a spring loaded scoop to put small piles of dough onto your lined baking sheet.  You can get between 8-12 depending on size. Try to leave a couple of inches in between them.

Bake for about 30-35 minutes (mine were done in 30) or til golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.

Fill with whatever you like!








No comments:

Post a Comment